Most genres of fiction interest me from mysteries to historical fiction. There are many categories to relish as I have found from Book Page, a magazine provided by the Friends of the Library in my vacation spot. Where to begin to find the next book to read? I am changing my blog to include books I want to read but have not read yet.
Which are your top choices from this list?
New titles on my TBR list include one from each of these categories:
- Literary Fiction: The Last Painting of Sara De Vos by Dominic Smith. This one includes three narrative threads, intriguing for a reader and a writer.
- Family Saga: Miller’s Valley by Anna Quindlan. She is a favorite author since I read her Black and Blue, a realistic view of domestic violence.
- Coming-of-Age: Excellent Lombards by Jane Hamilton. Begins in the 1960’s.
- Memoir: Dimestore: A Writer’s Life by Lee Smith. About her life in Appalachia.
- Middle Grade Fiction: A Bandit’s Tale by Deborah Hopkinson. A historical tale beginning in 1887 NYC with an Italian Oliver Twist-like character.
- Picture Book: The Bear and the Piano by David Litchfield. Starts in a forest and progresses to Broadway!
- Historical Mystery: Jane Steele by Lyndsay Faye. For adults and especially lovers of Jane Eyre (and no vampires!)
- Mystery: Plantation Shudders by Ellen Byron . An Agatha nominee for best debut cosy mystery. I confess I read this one first as I am going to the Malice Domestic conference later this month.
- Audio Memoir: On My Own by Diane Rehm, read by the author.
- Historical Fiction: The Summer Before the War by Helen Simonson. If you loved Major Pettigrew’s Land Stand, you have been waiting five years for her next novel. I think we will be pleased from the several reviews I have read so far.
Trisha Ping’s review in book Page of #10: “Full of trenchant observations on human nature and featuring a lovable cast of characters, The Summer Before the War is a second novel that satisfies.” Isn’t this premise the reason we read? I know it rings true for me!
Let me know what you recommend currently in comments.
I hope you are having fun with your own 2016 Reading Challenge!
HAPPY READING IN 2016!!